<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Posted by Paul on Monday, May 05, 2003 at 12:00 PM

Downtown Criterium - Saturday, May 3, 2003
Distance: 20 laps; 1.08 mile/lap
Conditions: 70's, sunny
Location: Downtown Silver City

Description:
Even though it's a criterium - it's still hilly. With 80 feet of climbing per lap, this stage will have another 1600 feet of climbing - that's roughly like climbing to the junction at Mount Diablo.

The course is a rectangle. From the start/finish line to turn 1 is pretty flat. The short leg to turn 2 usually has a headwind. From turn 2 along the backstretch there is a short steep stinger of a climb - about 35 feet. Then you quickly drop 30 feet, then climb (usually coast) another 10 feet to turn 3. Then you descend 55 feet to turn 4, where you're usually moving at 35 mph. The distance from turn 4 to the finish line is about 400 meters and there's also another 25 feet of climbing to get there.

How It Unfolded:
My goal (and Vaughn's) was just to cruise. I wasn't up for any brake lever ass prodding at 35 mph in turn 4 with 90 of my closest friends. So Vaughn and I sat in and tried to take it easy as much as possible. I sat in the middle third for most of the stage. My legs felt a little stale (how many times have I said that now?), but my heart rate didn't get over 160 until the last two laps. But that may be a different issue.

Anyway, the race was pretty safe. There was one cheesy crash coming out of turn 3 before the descent. I think both guys got back on their bikes right away. Vaughn and I ended up finishing somewhere in the top 35 or so and were glad to have it over with.

Afterward, I went over to neutral support because I was having a nasty little creaking coming from my bottom bracket. The mechanic tried all these things to fix it until he eventually pulled out the entire bottom bracket, put some anti-seize goop on it, and put it back in. All for free. How awesome is that?

Tomorrow is the Gila Monster Road Race, which is basically Friday's stage in reverse. It finishes on a climb, though. I hope the legs are there - I'd really like to crack the top 10 GC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?