<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Posted by Paul on Sunday, April 27, 2003 at 9:11 PM

Stage 2 - Warren TT

How it went down:

This was another difficult TT. The first part is easy and then it gets harder after the first turn, and then harder again after the 2nd turn. Since we had the downhill start, I opted for a 11 tooth on the back. If you haven't tried one, it's monster gear to push even downhill!

I got a pretty good warmup with a few anaerobic efforts, and also dialed in my new aero bars pretty good. We started in reverse GC order (so the leader gets to go last). Oh yeah, GC stands for "General Classification" and refers to the overall time of each rider. I cheered Vaughn on for his start, took another few hits on my water bottle, made one more effort to get the blood pumping and lined up for the start.

For the starting section, we had a pretty good crosswind coming from the right, which sucked. But it meant that we'd have a nice tailwind for the first climb section and then another crosswind for the last climbing section. I had a good start in my 53x19 gear and quickly chunked it down to the 11 for some serious speed. I ramped it up to 36 or 37 for a few minutes, but eventually had to jump up gear: my scrawny little legs just couldn't push that monster Mario Cipo' gear. I took the left hander onto Purdy Lane real easy since the road narrows considerably after the turn.

The tailwind was divine. I was pushing 29-30 mph for most of that section and it's slightly uphill. Giddy up!!! We started in 30 second intervals and I didn't seem to be making up much time on my 30 second man. Oh well. After 3 miles of tailwind bliss, the road turns again so now it's a crosswind again and a little bit steeper. It was a painful sight - long, straight, uphill, and never-ending.

paul and vaughn after ttVaughn and I drove the course earlier, so I knew that when it did finally end, there was a little downhill rest, another roller, and then another downhill. The final 200m was extremely rough - probably not a section to be in the aero bars.I passed one guy who had just exploded and came over the last roller. I sat up a little for the rough section - I already trashed my wheels once a few months ago so I didn't want to do it again. I rolled in for a ~22:30, which was good enough for - guess what - 10th place!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?